Teaching Effectiveness and JEDI
October 18, 2021 | 1:30-2:30pm PT | 2:30-3:30pm MT | 3:30-4:30pm CT | 4:30-5:30pm ET
This event will be a knowledge-sharing "potluck" of evidence-based materials or approaches that instructors can use to foster social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in the classroom. Some participants will bring tools or resources to share with other participants to discuss while in breakout rooms. Participants will leave the session with more "tools in their toolbox."
Faculty members/instructors in higher education and teaching & learning center professionals
Participants learn about evidence-based materials that are helpful for fostering social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in the classroom.
Prepare and add information about a teaching resource/practice/tool (if you have one)
- Prepare information about (for discussion) by Oct. 18
- Source material and how or was it was vetted (documentation)
- How does the item address justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion?
- How have you used the item you brought?
- What is a strength and weakness of the item you brought?
- Has the item brought about positive changes in classroom climate from the students' perspective?
- What has been the response by colleagues to your use of the item?
- Link (if applicable)
- Add name of material, source, & strengths/weaknesses on a slide by October 16 so we can estimate how many resources we will have
- Introduction (~10 min)
- Discussion overview (~5 min - includes transition to break-out rooms)
- Breakout Rooms - Discuss Tools (~25 min)
- Whole-group wrap up (~15 min)
- Teaching Effectiveness and JEDI Slides (Acrobat (PDF) 228kB Oct20 21)