The Transforming Institutions Conference's diversity of presentations, workshops, panel discussions, and plenary presentations is designed to address important topics in institutional change and transformation by:
- bringing together researchers, change agents, administrators, and policymakers to focus on transforming undergraduate education;
- inviting and incorporating diverse participation, drawing from a wide range of disciplines;
- creating a space where people can see how their work interacts and overlaps across disciplines;
- encouraging discussion in order to identify key questions regarding change in higher education;
- featuring both early and mature projects, which may focus on outcomes as well as processes and contexts of change;
- creating an opportunity for team formation and development, encouraging team builders to consider levels of power and buy-in as needed for change;
- providing space for discussion, engagement, and network development.
The Transforming Institutions Conference will bring together these themes into a robust and immersive program of workshops, presentations, panel discussions, plenary sessions, and symposia. Attendees will have the opportunity to engage with the conference themes and other change agents through a variety of sessions and formats. All are invited to submit abstracts to the contributed program of presentations, thematic symposia, workshops, and poster presentations.
We ask participants to attend the entire conference and to participate fully in the sessions and events. We encourage all participants to create a welcoming and encouraging work environment that honors all levels of experience with institutional change.
The Transforming Institutions Conference will begin in the afternoon of Wednesday, April 3rd with pre-conference workshops and a plenary presentation by Robin Wright. The meeting will end before lunch on Friday, April 5th. Key dates:
- Proposal submission deadline: November 11, 2018
- Registration opens: December 15, 2018
- Notification of proposal status: December 20, 2018
- Stipend application deadline: January 7, 2019
- Early registration deadline: February 8, 2019
- Standard registration deadline: March 15, 2019
We welcome participation by all who are interested in transforming undergraduate education, including researchers, change agents, administrators, and policymakers focused on institutional change. All participants are invited to submit an abstract to be considered for inclusion in the program.
Poster submissions remain open on a rolling basis. The deadline for other submissions has passed. Submit a session proposal »
Before February 8: $395
After February 8: $435
The registration deadline has passed.
*Cancellation policy: Registration cancellations must be made in writing to Mitchell Awalt (mawalt @ carleton.edu). No refunds will be given after the cancellation deadline of March 15, 2019.
Limited funding is available for participants to support your travel to the Transforming Institutions Conference. Stipends will be awarded based on financial need and potential impact on participation in the conference. You will be asked to submit a budget and justification for the amount of support that you request. The stipend application deadline has passed.
The workshop will take place at the Sheraton Pittsburgh Hotel at Station Square in Pittsburgh, PA. Participants are responsible for their own travel and accommodations.